Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Taco Pasta!


I was walking through the small, local grocery store just-pre-pandemic when I saw that they had mafalda-shaped pasta.  I was actually looking for gemelli, which my Target does not carry, but my Target doesn't have mafalda either!  Anyway, I grabbed a box (it was Creamette brand) and threw it in my cart to put in the cabinet.  (Because who wants boring old pasta shapes, right?)

As the box was sitting in the top section of the cart, I realized that the back of the box had a recipe on it...and it being approximately dinner time, the recipe sounded really good.  It was for Mafalda Mexicana, which I am choosing to rename as a more Midwestern (and thus *way* more appropriate) "Taco Pasta."  

I really liked my final result and it is the kind of thing that you can add to, depending on what you like and what you have around.  The key is the creamy sauce, the secret ingredient of which is....wait for it......waaaiitt for iiit...cottage cheese.  Weird, huh?  Also, you could probably use any type of noodle/pasta that you like/have on hand, but the wavy ribbony noodles did pick up and hold the sauce really well.  And I froze some of the leftovers and they were good heated up for a lunch.     

Anyway.  Super tasty and going in my repertoire!  


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 package (6 oz.) mafalda pasta, uncooked 
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey (I used turkey this time)
  • 1 package taco seasoning mix
  • 1 1/2 cups hot water
  • 1 cup small curd cottage cheese (I used a low fat 1% kind)
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (I used shredded, but you could use grated)
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • optional: chopped tomato, sliced black olives, salsa, etc. (you know, taco things)


Directions:
  1. Cook pasta according to directions
  2. Cook meat in a large skillet over a medium heat (drain fat if needed)
  3. Add taco mix, stir, then add water and bring to a boil
  4. Reduce heat to a simmer; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
  5. Stir in cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, and pasta
  6. Heat through (the cheeses will melt, even the cottage cheese curds)
  7. Top with mozzarella cheese, and then add any optional taco toppings  




1 comment: