Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese


I tried this recipe because it appeared on a blog I like to follow that is mostly about baking.  But, you know, like real baking, not real food.  Desserts.  Cookies.  Cakes.  Things that you would have AFTER a meal.  So, when I saw this, I thought: why not?  

The original recipe is from Sally's Baking Addiction and she adapted it from Cooking Light.  Also--warning!--it contains "optional" kale.  And what do I do with optional kale?  Obviously I swap it for spinach, because kale ruins everything. :)  

My version--made in early February--didn't really turn out looking like the original, but I thought it tasted great and was pretty healthy.  I was eating it as a main dish, but it would also make a mighty fine side-dish.  Also, it is vegetarian, if that matters to you, but you could toss in some crumbled bacon if you are bothered by vegetarian foods.  

Leftovers were tasty, including a portion that I froze to have a week or so later.  And the original provided freezing directions for the whole dish, which I haven't tried yet.  But I will!  Basically those are:  Prepare the recipe except for the baking.  Cover tightly and freeze up to 3 months.  Thaw overnight in the fridge, bring to room temperature, and then bake.   


Ingredients:
  • 4 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash (or, about 1 large butternut squash peeled and cubed)
  • 1 1/4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (you could also use chicken broth)
  • 1 1/4 cups milk (I used skim milk and it worked fine)
  • 2 heaping teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 lb. uncooked pasta (I used a rotini, but you could do whatever!)
  • 1 package of spinach (optional)
  • 1/4 cup plain, nonfat greek yogurt 
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2+ tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2+ heaping cups of shredded cheese (the original recommended gruyere or white cheddar, I used gruyere because I happened to find some pre-shredded at Aldi for a good price)
  • optional: 1/3 cup breadcrumbs

Directions:

  1. Combine squash, broth, milk, and garlic in a medium pan over medium-high heat
  2. Simmer for 20 minutes, until the squash is very tender (test by stabbing it with a fork) and then set aside
  3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees 
  4. Cook your pasta until it is a bit firm still, just al dente
  5. Add spinach and cook for a minute or two, until spinach is wilted in.
  6. Drain and set aside
  7. Put warm squash mixture in blender 
  8. Add yogurt, salt, and pepper, and blend until smooth
  9. Pour sauce into very large bowl and add in cheese(s)
  10. Stir until cheese is combined (don't worry if it isn't all melted at this point)
  11. Add pasta/spinach to bowl and stir.
  12. Pour into a casserole dish, top with breadcrumbs
  13. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly on the sides. 































No comments:

Post a Comment