Thursday, April 12, 2018

Dragon Cake: Dessert for the dragoniest Dungeons and Dragons meeting




My gaming group's April meeting was a dragon-and-spring-themed potluck.  So I made a cake shaped like a dragon!  I looked online at a variety of different ideas, but then settled on using this one as a basic pattern/idea.   (Note: this is an Instructables page, which should be OK. But it seems to want to create warnings with my anti-virus software.)
  1. Bake two 9-inch round cakes. (Mine were triple-chocolate-fudge, from a mix. Feel free to judge me, but it tasted awesome.)
  2. Cut one in half for the body
  3. Cut the other into pieces vaguely like this:

  4. Assemble the cake using buttercream frosting, cutting to shape as needed. (I used almond-vanilla buttercream, using the Wilton frosting recipe)
  5. Crumb-coat entire dragon with buttercream.  Refrigerate/freeze to solidify before decorating.


  6. Use frosting to create textured skin (I used two colors of orange-y/yellow-y frosting to try to add some depth).

  7. Decorate!  
I used:
  • Chocolate-covered grahams (cut) for spines
  • Pull-and-Peel Twizlers for flames
  • Fruit Roll-ups for wings (on straws)
  • Black licorice for nostrils and eyebrows 
  • Mini oreos (opened and with pieces of tops) for eyes
I think he turned out pretty cute. The eyebrows make him look a little sheepish, but I really thought they were needed to make the dragon less mean-looking.  



After our game night there was a lot of leftover cake, so I brought it to work to share.  People hacked it up, but they left the face.   He looked so sad and sat there for so long...

I took off the face-decorations and the cake was finished in less than 10 minutes!  



No comments:

Post a Comment