Saturday, May 31, 2014

Celebratory Scones



This week was filled with a variety of frustrations and didn't feature very much in the way of sleep.  However, it was also filled with a variety of triumphs and celebrations. Among these celebrations was one for the retirement of a colleague.  I wanted to bring something in to work on Friday to share, but I didn't have a ton of time on Thursday night that I could devote to baking and/or washing baking dishes afterward.  A quick look through my cabinet and I had the perfect solution: lemon-blueberry scones.  

Scones from scratch are pretty simple and I've made a variety of types/flavors over the years.  But the lemon-blueberry ones from this week happened to come from a mix from King Arthur Flour.  I've used their scone recipes before and would recommend them.  Especially to people who don't really like to bake from scratch (for whatever reason), but who have a lot of friends/family who claim that they *only* like things baked from scratch.  The mixes I've used from King Arthur usually require a few more ingredients than grocery store mixes, but they have always turned out really well for me.  Basically the scone mix includes everything except the salt, butter, egg, and milk.  It came together really fast and baked beautifully as drop-scones.  Hint: bake your scones on parchment paper.  They seem to bake more evenly and the bottoms are less likely to be overdone.  

I tasted the dough (pretty good stuff), but didn't get an actual finished scone.  Everyone seemed to really like them, though, so I'm counting it in the win column.  

Also, I'm thinking lemon-blueberry might be a good go-to for a summer flavor combo going forward.  Lemon tastes lighter and sunnier than many other flavors.  It isn't universally loved, but is still pretty popular.  And people who don't like lemon as much might be convinced to try something that also had blueberries in it.  I'm also thinking lemon-blueberry muffins would be a fancier, more novel, and more sophisticated take on traditional blueberry muffins.  

By the way, the blueberry muffin is the official state muffin of Minnesota.  Oh, yeah.  You read that right: we have an official state muffin.  Contemplate the awesomeness of that for a little while!




    

No comments:

Post a Comment