Monday, August 3, 2020

Vegetarian Mushroom "Meatballs"



As a kid I ate mushrooms in only three forms: on pizza, in pasta sauce, or in cream of mushroom soup.  I've significantly expanded my appreciation of the cute little fungi as an adult, but I really only love them when they are cooked.  (I'm not gonna lie, I can only eat a few raw mushrooms at a time...and then it is usually in a salad or with dip.  The texture isn't my favorite when they are uncooked.)

This mushroom-heavy, vegetarian recipe is one that is good on pasta or as the filling of a meatball sandwich, and the original recipe claims it makes good burger patties, too. (The original is in a book called "The Clueless Vegetarian."  I posted my version of the Spicy Peanut Pasta from this book earlier).   

The choice of mushrooms is yours.  I used white button once and a mix of button and portbellos once.  This most recent time was just the button ones, and I even used the pre-sliced 'shrooms.  I just chopped them up more--it was a timesaver and they were cheaper than the whole ones when I was at the store. 

I've done the meatball version twice now, each time slightly differently because of what ingredients I had in the house at the time.  But, hey, I liked it both times!  The secret is to get to a consistency that sticks together.  I also highly recommend letting the mix sit in the fridge overnight.  The ingredients meld together and the oats are less obviously oat-y that way.  

Also, it looks like a lot of instructions, but this takes only one skillet, one bowl, and one cookie sheet.  It could be summed up as: cook veggies, cool, mix into a mush, let it sit, roll into balls, bake. 

Makes: about 23 to 24 meatballs 

Ingredients:
  • 1 to 1.5 pounds mushrooms* 
  • 0.5 to 1 medium onion
  • 2+ cloves garlic
  • 2/3 to 3/4 cup bread crumbs**
  • 2/3 to 3/4 cup oats (I used old fashioned--also called rolled--oats)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • black pepper, to taste (1/4 to 1/2 tsp.)
  • other herbs/spices, if you want them. 

* When I had 1.5 pounds of mushrooms I used half an onion, but when I had only 1 pound of mushrooms I used the whole onion.  It still worked. 

**For oats and breadcrumbs, use 2/3 cup of one and 3/4 cup of the other.  The original calls for more of the breadcrumbs, but I ran out of breadcrumbs making the most recent version and only had 2/3 cup.  So I just used more oats.  It was completely fine.  Seriously.  This isn't rocket science.  

Directions:
  1. Chop mushrooms fairly small, but doesn't have to be minced or anything
  2. Chop onion smaller than mushrooms, in the diced/minced range. 
  3. Mince garlic (or use it out of a jar, if you are me!)
  4. Heat a large skillet, on medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray (or use oil, whichever you prefer)
  5. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic. 

  6. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes.  The key is to cook everything until all the liquid is released from the mushrooms AND that liquid has evaporated.  


  7. Transfer veggies to a medium bowl and let cool.  (This is important...otherwise you will cook your eggs and they won't hold your meatballs together!)
  8. Add bread crumbs, oats, cheese, eggs, salt, and pepper. 
  9. Mix until everything is combined and all mushy
  10. Cover and put in fridge (The original says "at least 15 minutes or as long as overnight."  I'd say several hours or overnight is best--see above in description)
  11. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
  12. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray
  13. Roll mixture into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet
  14. Lightly spray tops with non-stick spray

  15. Bake for 15 minutes,then turn over and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, until browned and sizzling. 
     
  16. Leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated the oven.  You can also reheat them in sauce or the microwave, but they lose the oven-cooked texture  



No comments:

Post a Comment