Monday, January 17, 2022

Double-blueberry lemon beer bread

 


I mostly failed in writing about or recording my recipes, projects, and experiments for 2021, but that doesn't mean I can't start again fresh in 2022, right?  

So this is what I made on Saturday to bring to my parents' house as a treat...

I've been working on what is essentially a double-blueberry beer bread--a quick-style beer bread made with both blueberry beer and fresh blueberries--for a while now.  I've entered two versions in the State Fair (no ribbons for it so far!), but this newest version is the best yet, I think.  The dough is a beautiful light lavender color, though that color largely bakes out.  Ane the addition of the extra lemon ingredients make the finishing taste a nice citrus one.       

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • +/- 1/4 tsp dried grated lemon peel 
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (this time I used dark brown sugar)
  • 12 oz. blueberry beer (I used Grain Belt Blu blueberry lager)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4  teaspoon lemon extract
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 Tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 cup whole, fresh blueberries with 1 Tablespoon flour stirred into them
  • Finely granulated white sugar to sprinkle on top of the loaf 
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375°F 
  2. Lightly spray 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray
  3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and lemon peel


  4. Lightly whisk together vanilla, lemon juice, lemon extract, melted butter, and beer in a measuring cup


  5. Pour liquids into dry ingredients and stir until well mixed



  6. Fold in blueberries



  7. Put mixture in pan, smooth top, and sprinkle top with granulated sugar


  8. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until lightly browned and middle is set


No comments:

Post a Comment