Friday, January 12, 2018

Hungarian Mushroom Soup: First New Recipe of 2018



When I was in my sophomore year in college, a friend made the Hungarian Mushroom Soup recipe from the Moosewood Cookbook.  I remember it fondly and--with the new year here and the idea that I should cook more--I decided to give it a try. 

I'll be honest: I was too lazy to go find my copy of the book, so I found a version online that may or may not be just like the one in the book. And then I changed it just a bit.  It was a really good, hearty meal-soup, extra mushroom-y.  Also tasted good warmed up the next day.  Yay for a successful first new recipe of 2018!!

Ingredients:

  • 2 Tbsp margarine (or, I suppose, one could use butter)
  • 2 small to medium onions, chopped (I used sweet yellow ones)
  • 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. mushrooms, sliced (I used one pound of baby 'bellas and half a pound of white button)
  • 2 to 3 tsp. dried dill (I used 2 slightly heaping tsp, but I think that less would be better)
  • 1 Tbsp mild paprika
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 3 Tbsp flour
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup milk (I used skim milk and it worked fine)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt (I used non-fat, plain, Fage-brand Greek yogurt)
  • black pepper to taste


Directions:

  1. Melt margarine in a soup pot
  2. Add onions and saute over medium heat for 5 minutes
  3. Add mushrooms, salt, dill, and paprika
  4. Stir well and cover, the let cook for about 15 more minutes
  5. Stir in lemon juice
  6. Gradually sprinkle in flour and stir in, one Tbsp at a time
  7. Cook for 5 more minutes over medium-low heat, stirring regularly
  8. Stir in water
  9. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often
  10. Stir in milk and black pepper to taste
  11. Turn down heat, whisk in yogurt and heat gently (don't boil at/after this point)
  12. Serve hot

No comments:

Post a Comment