Thursday, January 8, 2015

Mary Poppins Costume Accessories


I know that it is now January, but I wanted to catch up with several of my older projects that are worth documenting and sharing.

Because I love Halloween (LOVE it!), I decided long before the end of October that I would have two different Halloween costumes in 2014: one for work and one for my now-annual Halloween party.  I also decided to be Mary Poppins for work.  Why?  Well, it is a costume that is mostly based around things that I either already had or could acquire cheaply...a main point in favor of any costume.  More importantly, however, it was something that could be work appropriate if you stretch the idea of business casual just a tiny smidge.  (Although, to be fair, my boss is OK with us dressing up....as long as we don't get too crazy.)

The main costume consisted of a made-by-me black circle skirt with a made-by-me black crinoline under it to give it shape.  (I know, I know.  Not authentic to have Mary Poppins in a swirly skirt.  But it was MY costume.  Also, I made these in 2013 when I made my wind-up doll costume.  Yeah, I know.  That WAS cool.)  A white button-up shirt, black tights, black heels, and black blazer completed the actual outfit.

As for basic accessories, I added a $1 red bow tie--I think I found it at the dollar store--and a red grosgrain ribbon belt (ribbon purchased with a coupon at JoAnn fabrics) that I affixed to itself and my skirt with fashion tape (also purchased with a coupon at JoAnn's).

BTW: If you haven't tried fashion tape, you should.  It works on gaps in shirts, missing buttons, broken hems, keeping necklines up/work appropriate, etc.  I love this stuff!  The best kind comes in pink and black packaging and can come in either a tin of strips or a roll of tape.  Cost saving tip: Don't bother buying the dispenser if you buy the rolls; just keep a set of scissors with it in your drawer/dresser/bathroom.

As for the other accessories, I needed two other things: Mary's distinctive hat and her talking bird umbrella.  I bought the basis for both at the Goodwill.  The hat was a costume bowler-style hat that was new and cost me about $3.  The umbrella had an L-shaped handle and was also about $3.

To decorate the hat, I purchased one piece of thick white scrapbook paper embossed with flowers of different types.  I cut out a few of the flowers, colored the centers yellow-orange, and attached them with double-stick tape.  I also purchased ($1) a small bunch of Christmas greenery that had some berries on it.  I used just the 2 bunches of berries, tucked in the band of the hat.

To make the umbrella, I bought two different colors of air dry clay.  It is super light-weight and sold in the kids' section of craft stores.  My packages were a light, bright green for the main head and beak, and a white for the eyes.  Crayola makes a nice version, but many craft stores have a generic version as well.  Again, I had a coupon for both packages.  I molded the green clay around the l-shaped handle, using the handle as an armature that would support the beak.  I spread the clay down around the main handle, to be sure that it would stay on and sort of become a part of the handle.  I let the surface dry and then added the small white round pieces for the eyes.  The next day, I used multi-colored Sharpie markers to color the beak, add "feathers" to the neck, and add details to the eyes.  Then I left the bird to totally dry for another 2 days.

If I had needed to ditch my costume quickly--for an unexpected meeting with someone important, for example--I would have left the hat and umbrella at my desk with the bow tie, buttoned my blazer, and perfectly ready. Also, I now have all these items and accessories, so a costume party at a non-Halloween time would be no problem (Purim, anyone?).

Most important lesson to impart on costume making: think ahead.  This helps both with the gathering of items and the ability to comparison-shop/save money.  Several 50% and 60% off coupons saved me huge, as did the ability to make a few trips to find just the right items at the thrift shop.

After work on Halloween, a small group of people from work played trivia at Summit Brewery.  We got second place, and so Michael, Tim, Rosie the Riveter, and Mary Poppins had a photo taken to commemorate our near-win.







No comments:

Post a Comment