Sunday, November 16, 2014

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup



 One of the great things about fall and winter gatherings is that you can fix warming foods...things that you couldn't dare serve in the middle of summer because the idea of turning on the oven in a house full of people in the heat is just unthinkable.

After I moved into my townhouse, I decided that I needed to start some traditions for my new home.  Since I have a deep and abiding love of all things Halloween, I have held a Halloween party for friends for the past two years.  One of the main dishes that I've served both years is an autumn soup.  It can be left to warm on the stove or in a crock pot, and people can eat more or less of it whenever they want.  Plus, there are so many hearty vegetarian options that it makes preparations for a diverse group of people much, much easier!

This year's soup was a butternut squash-apple variety and the recipe came from (though I'm a bit sad to admit it) Martha Stewart's online presence.  It was really good, simple to make, and warm both in temperature and from spices.  Also, the ingredients are the perfect fall produce combo and the recipe is really quite healthy.

I did not follow Martha's serving instructions, which included a fussy garnish of diced apples and jalapeno slices.  Instead I served it with some optional sour cream and AMAZING pumpkin-cornbread croutons that I got at Trader Joe's.

Seriously, these are the greatest and most unique croutons of all time.  It is like someone took the perfect fall day and somehow transformed it into crouton form.  Am I enamored?  Yes.  Absolutely.  Do I count on ever seeing these croutons in a store again?  No.  Of course not.  Trader Joe's discontinue everything that I truly love!

By the way, what follows is double the size of the original recipe.  So, if you don't want quite so much soup, this version should half down really well.  

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 medium onions/1 large onion, diced
  • 2 butternut squash (about 4 pounds), peeled, seeded, and chopped
  • 8 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (I used Haralsons and Galas, I think) 
  • 4 tsp coarse salt
  • 3 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
  • 5 cups water, plus more if needed



Directions 
  1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. 
  2. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften (about 4 minutes) 
  3. Add squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft (about 10 to 12 minutes) 
  4. Add apples, salt, cumin, coriander, ginger, cayenne, black pepper, stock, and just enough water to cover everything.  
  5. Bring to a boil. 
  6. Reduce to a simmer and cook until vegetables are very soft (about 30 minutes)
  7. Puree in batches in a blender until smooth and return to saucepan. 
  8. Heat over low, adding more water if the soup is too thick.   
  9. Serve with croutons and/or a dollop of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment