Monday, July 14, 2014

Easy Lemon Crinkle Cookies


This past weekend I was going to make some cookies from scratch for a gathering...but then I realized that I only had about 2 Tablespoons of regular sugar in my sugar container.  oops!  I could've made something like shortbread that didn't use very much sugar.  Or I could've found a recipe that used powdered sugar instead of granulated.  

Instead, I did something that combined the two: I made lemon crinkle cookies out of a cake mix, with powdered sugar on the outside to make the crinkles.  

Normally chocolate is the classic flavor for crinkle cookies.  But I like lemon, too.  And for summer, I like citrus a lot.  (See past posts about orange cake and lime pie....)  Ultimately, you can make crinkle cookies of any flavor using different cake mixes with or without additional flavors.  Just find a standard cake mix that calls for 3 eggs, 1/3 cup oil, and 1 cup water.  Then just follow the super-easy recipe below:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cake mix 
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • granulated or powdered sugar 


Instructions:
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees 
  2. Mix cake mix, eggs, and oil with a spoon in a large bowl.  The dough will be a bit sticky.
  3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar.  I usually use powdered sugar, but granulated will make the cookies more sparkly.  Both taste really great!
  4. Place dough balls about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
  5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set.
  6. Cool for a minute or so on cookie sheet and then cool completely on wire rack.   





No comments:

Post a Comment