Monday, July 28, 2014

Chocolate-Double-Chocolate Chip Cookies


Since my last attempt to make cookies from scratch was foiled by a lack of sugar, this recipe was a good experiment in returning to purely homemade.  They were made as a moving day treat for a Saturday when I was helping out a friend.  

The original basis for the recipe was Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Chip Cookies, but since I was making it for others I left out the nuts that it calls for and added more chocolate chips.  I also made sure to add two sizes and types of chocolate chips. I almost always like nuts, especially in chocolate cookies or brownies, but I never know who is allergic or just doesn't like nuts in their cookies.

These turned out really good.  I think that the dough would be a good basis for various flavored chips, as well.  Peanut butter, butterscotch, white chocolate, etc. would probably each be yummy....

Ingredients
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa, unsweetened
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter or margarine, softened (I used margarine)
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips (I used mini semi-sweet)
  • 1 cup chopped nuts, optional (but I used an extra 1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate chips, instead)


Directions
  1. Heat oven to 375°F.
  2. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. 
  3. Cream butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in large bowl on medium speed.
  4. Add eggs and beat well. 
  5. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well. 
  6. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if you are using them.  
  7. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
  8. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. 
  9. Cool slightly, then remove from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool completely. 


Makes between 4 and 5 dozen cookies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment