Sunday, June 14, 2015

Cross-Stitched Design: pillow featuring a snarky and cool Firefly quote



Quite a while ago, I noticed that there were people cross-stitching fun phrases or samplers onto things and then selling them on etsy and places like that.  In particular, I always thought that the juxtaposition of phrases with bad language in them that used really pretty, flowery letters were pretty funny.  I also really like that some people have made their pop culture favorites cross with their stitching hobby.

For a friend for Christmas, I decided to do the latter.  Since she is a big Firefly/Serenity fan, I decided to use the Captain Malcolm Reynolds quote "I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you"(while wearing a floral bonnet, obviously!).  I made up the pattern for the cross-stitch myself, using some graph paper, a pencil and two websites for inspiration: an online site with fonts that helps with spacing for words and a site that had a few floral corner patterns for me to improvise off of.

After the design and sewing parts were done, I gave it to my friend for Christmas and then I asked my friend if she wanted it framed or made into a pillow.  She went with the pillow (smart choice!), which meant that I had to figure out how to do that.  After a bit of research, I decided to go with something that would frame the stitching in front and would have a flap/envelope in the back.  Basically, so that the pillow would look nice, but wouldn't require a zipper or to be sewn closed.

I managed to finally get the pillow finished by May...it took a while but it turned out really well.

I looked at a lot of instructions online, but the most useful pages I found were these two:


Basic steps were:
  • Iron (on the reverse), then measure and cut the panel for the front
  • Iron, then draw out pattern on blue fabric for the "frame" on the front of the pillow
  • Cut out frame pieces
  • One at a time, pin and sew frame pieces to the front center panel 
  • Then sew angled corners together to complete the frame
  • Iron corners so that they lay flat

  • Cut out two pieces for the back
  • Sew the edges of the envelope in the back pieces
  • Lay back pieces and front piece out, right sides together
  • Sew back and front together
  • Turn pillow/cushion case right-side out and insert 12 X 12 inch pillow
  • Finished!








No comments:

Post a Comment